Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Day 223 - 50 f/4


Twitter | Facebook | Blogger | Flickr

View larger to see the sharpness in the eye

Day 223 - 50 f/4

ISO 100 f/4 1/200s  See setup for Strobist info.

Everyone who gets a fast 50 wants to only shoot at 1.4 or 1.8 depending on what lens they have.  Move in really close for a ridiculously shallow depth-of-field and call it artsy and creative.  Don't get me wrong, I have owned a 50 f/1.4 for a long time now and I even had a Nikon 50mm f/1.2 Ai-S lens that I sold for my ultrawide lens.  I too went through the wide open stupid DOF that everyone loves so much.  I like a good Bokeh and it has it's place, but if you haven't explored the apertures between 2.8 and 13 on your fast 50 your are really missing out.  I have been shooting all of my product photography lately with a my 50 because prime lenses are always sharper than zoom lenses, and 50mm is slightly telephoto on a DX sensor not creating much distortion.

I went out to this location because of the reflective marble wall, but then decided to recompose my shot without the reflection.  I think I am doing something weird with my lips in this shot, but I choose this one for the sharpness of the eye.  I really look forward to returning back to this wall with a friend or client for a shoot.


setup shot
50 f/4 Setup


until tomorrow,
enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment